Contact Us  |  

    • Born into a large family

      On June 12, 1823, Théophile Verbist was born in Antwerp into a large family of seven children. Guillaume, the father (1787-1854), native of Antwerp, got married to Catherine Van Honsem in 1813. One year later, a son, Pierre was born. The young mother died a few years later. In 1819, Guillaume married again with Catherine Troch (1797-1852), native of Dendermonde, daughter of a surgeon. Six children were born of this marriage. The first, born in 1821, was named Guillaume after his father. Then followed: Athanase (1822), the twins Théophile and Edmond (June 12, 1823), René (1826) and a daughter Élisabeth (1832). French was the mother tongue of the family Verbist; yet the children also knew Dutch.


      Diocesan Priest

      When the twins Théophile and Edmond were seven years old, they went to the Jesuits’ school in Antwerp. Later, they studied at the minor seminary of Mechelen. The twins separated in 1842, when they had completed their college studies. While Edmond started to study law to become a lawyer, Théophile wanted to become a priest. He had first two years of philosophy and then, he went to the major seminary of Mechelen to study theology for three years, as it was the custom in those days.

      On September 18, 1847, Théophile was ordained priest in Mechelen by Cardinal Sterckx.


      Supervisor at the minor seminary

      In the beginning of October 1847, Théophile Verbist was appointed Supervisor at the minor seminary of Mechelen. The students called him “good Mister Verbist.”


      Chaplain at the military school

      In August 1853, he was appointed Chaplain at the military school in Brusselsand assumed this function for about ten years at the military school. As a rule, he was a bit reserved and cautious, but he could defend his point of view ardently and firmly. However, it was especially his kindness that caught the attention of many as a special.


      Chaplain of the Sisters of Notre-Dame de Namur

      Théophile Verbist was Chaplain of the Sisters of Notre-Dame de Namur. According to the sisters who watched their Chaplain, Théophile Verbist had a half-an-hour meditation before the Eucharistic celebration and after the celebration he had a prayer of thanksgiving. The sisters believed that he was really a man of Prayer.


      Director of the Holy Childhood

      In 1860, while Chaplain at the military school and Chaplain of the sisters, Théophile Verbist was appointed National Director of the Work of the Holy Childhood in Belgium. He probably accepted this appointment because it matched with his missionary vocation that he had been “nurturing for a long time.”


      Théophile Verbist’ Missionary Vocation

      In the beginning of the Annales de l’Œuvre de la Mission belge en Chine, we read that that a “happy event” decided on Verbist’ missionary vocation. This event refers to the news reported in the papers that the doors of China had been opened. An English-French military expedition, called the Second Opium War by the Chinese, ended up in the Tianjin Treaty of 1858. It was ratified by the Beijing Agreement between the Chinese Emperor and the French Emperor on October 25, 1860. This treaty also opened the doors of China to the missionaries. This news aroused great hopes among the missionaries in France and elsewhere. It also stimulated Verbist’s missionary vocation that he had nurtured “for a long time.” He soon mentioned it to Aloïs Van Segvelt, Frans Vranckx and Remi Verlinden, and together they got in touch with the Church authorities.  In 1866, thinking about his missionary life, Théophile Verbist wrote from Xiwanzi to his sister: “Here I am in China, dear Élisa (Élisabeth); the dream of so many years has come true. Every day I thank the good Lord for it, because I believe that here at least I shall be able to attain the goal I had in mind when becoming a priest: for love of the good Lord to work successfully for the happiness of his creatures.”


      Founder of the CICM

      As a member and sympathizer of the Holy Childhood and later as its national director, Théophile Verbist knew about the lack of orphanages in China and planned to found an orphanage there. He planned to do together with some Belgians priests. By strenuous efforts he overcame numerous obstacles, until his Belgian Mission in China was finally established.

      On November 28, 1862, Engelbert Cardinal Sterckx established canonically the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. After he consulted the other members, he appointed Théophile Verbist as the Superior General.

      On November 14, 1863, the Propaganda granted “the decree of praise” to the new Congregation and so it passed from diocesan right to pontifical right. This decree was the first degree of pontifical approval. Rome granted a temporal approval to the Congregation in 1888 and the final approval in 1900.


      Apostolic Provicar of Mongolia

      On September 12, 1865, Théophile Verbist is appointed Apostolic Provicar of Mongolia by the Propaganda.


      Departure for China, mission and death

      In 1865, Théophile Verbist and four other zealous companions made their final preparations for their mission in China. On December 6, they arrived in the village of Xiwanzi, in the Province of Inner Mongolia, north of the Great Wall.

      There they set up a base, getting to work immediately on plans to administer the vast territory that lay before them: organizing small Christian communities, attending to an orphanage and school, and training seminarians. “It's difficult. Such a pity that we are so few,” Father Verbist used to say to himself whenever he considered the vast task ahead of him. But guided by the Holy Spirit, he and his team were able to overcome the obstacles - notwithstanding the harsh terrain, the severe weather, the immense distances to be covered, and the local language. These missionaries also faced many critical situations, including famine, sickness, accidents, and martyrdom. Father Verbist himself died of typhoid fever at Laohugou, China on February 23, 1868, at the age of 44, less than three years after arriving in Inner Mongolia. His companion, Father Van Segvelt, had succumbed to the same dreaded disease a year earlier. The news of Verbist’ death was known in Belgium and in Holland only at the beginning of June.

      verbist


      The remains of Théophile Verbist

      In 1930, Constant Daems, the Superior General decided to bring back the remains of the Founder to Scheut-Brussels “so that his tomb may be for everybody a privileged place of true apostolic spirit and total gift of self.” His remains were placed in a splendid coffin, Chinese in shape and oriental in decoration. It arrived at Scheut on Sunday, May 10, 1931.

      The Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Missionaries of Scheut), whose principal house is located in Rome, was founded by Rev. Theophile Verbist, a Belgian priest.  Appointed National Director of the Work of the Holy Childhood in 1860, he began to follow the missionary work among the Chinese attentively and with special interest”.

      CICM Constitutions, General Directory, “Decretum of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.

      Although not a canonized saint, the fact that his foundation has grown to what it is today is testimony to the love and work of Father Verbist and the power of the Holy Spirit within him.

    • We are CICM Missionaries, a Roman Catholic and international religious missionary Congregation founded by Théophile Verbist in 1862.

      CICM is an abbreviation that came from the initial letters of the Latin name “Congregatio Immaculati Cordis Mariae,” which is Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in English. It is named after a religious Marian devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

      The CICM Missionaries are also known by other names depending on the country where they are working.

      In Europe and Africa, we are widely known as Scheut Missionariesor Scheutists. Scheut, Anderlecht, is a suburb of Brussels where the first headquarters of the Congregation was established.

      In some places, like in the Philippines, CICM Missionaries were known as “Belgian Fathers” since the Institute was founded in Belgium, and most of its members were Priest. The Institute was never an exclusively Belgium Institute and includes both priests and brothers. Thus, this name has fallen out of use, especially as the Institute continues to expand internationally.

      In North America, the Congregation is also known as “Missionhurst – CICM,” and its members are referred to as “Missionhurst Priests and Brothers.”

      Hurst is an old English term for a small hill or a wooded rise. The headquarters of the missionary Institute in North America is located on a small wooded hill, thus becoming the Institute’s popular name in that part of the world.

      “The Congregation is an international religious missionary Institute. It was founded by Theophile Verbist and is dedicated to the Incarnate Word, under the name and patronage of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Sharing in the mission of Jesus Christ, entrusted to the Church, the Institute carries out its particular mission under the supreme direction and coordination of the Pope and the College of Bishops united with him. It holds the status of a clerical Institute of pontifical right. As an exclusively missionary Institute it comes under the authority of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples” (CICM Constitutions, Art. 1).

    • ABOUT OUR LOGO

       

      The CICM emblem was first published in the Chronica of April 1934 without official explanation. However, the official explanation of the CICM logo can be considered to be what is read in the “Report of the Vicar General to the General Chapter of 1947.” Addressing the question of religious life in CICM, Jozef Vandeputte (who guided the Congregation first as Vicar General after the death of Constant Daems from 1935 to 1947 and as Superior General from 1947 to 1957) addressed the Capitulants in the following way:

       

      Each of you will still remember that there was a certain tension in the Congregation at the time of the previous Chapter (1930). The letter of the Propaganda dated 1929 giving the results of the canonical visitation undertaken the year before by Father Gubbels at Rome’s request, draws the attention to a certain disagreement among the CICM members, and to Rome's wish to have it solved as soon as possible. Our Superior General Constant Daems (Superior General from 1930 to 1934) tried then to restore and strengthen mutual understanding immediately. Looking for an effective solution for that purpose, he had the mortal remains of our Venerable Founder transferred to the Mother House. He wanted it to be the symbol of the bond of unity in the Congregation. More than ever before, he intended to strengthen this bond during his generalate.

      The emblem of Constant Daems

      The emblem of Constant Daems

       

      This is what he solemnly declared in his talk to the many CICM present in the refectory of Scheut on Sunday May 10, 1931, the day of the solemn transfer of the mortal remains (of the Founder Théophile Verbist) to our church in Scheut. For the same reason, he renewed the Congregation’s coat of arms and seal, and added the motto Cor unum et anima una. It was approved at the Council’s meeting (of the General Government) of October 5, 1933, shortly before his departure for China and the Philippines. It was about the last major measure of his of his active administration. (Chronica CICM, No. 7, November 2001, pp. 214-215).

       

      1. The motto

      Théophile Verbist, who died prematurely, barely five years after the foundation of CICM, did not leave us a motto. It was Father Constant Daems who gave it to us at a difficult time in the Congregation's history.

      This motto comes directly from the Acts of the Apostles: The Whole group of believers was united, heart and soul” (4:32). This phrase expresses God's ideal for the humanity He created. It is the heart of the Gospel message. In Jesus, we are children of God, by the Spirit's power, and therefore brothers and sisters of the same family.

      Constant Daems chose this motto of brotherhood and joy that would later become a missionary motto.

      From the sixties onward, this motto became more and more emphasized in CICM documents, and its content will grow considerably.

       

      motto

       

      The mottoOne Heart, One soul, Cor Unum Et Anima Una in Latin, appears in the provisional Constitutions of 1968 (Art. 4). Later on, when referring to our missionary commitment, the Chapter of 1974 declared: “We want to be signs and instruments of brotherhood (Kindling the Fire, p. 45)”. The 1978 General Conference pays special attention to our vocation to universal brotherhood in Jesus Christ. This Conference's report is published under the title “One Heart, One Soul”.

      Finally, the 1988 Constitutions also refer to the motto:

      “Religious missionaries of different races and cultures, we live and work together as brothers. One heart and one soul, we witness to the Father’s will that all men and women be brothers and in Christ. (Art. 2).”

      Remarkably, the motto is directly related to the words “witness to the universal brotherhood. This view of seeing is fairly summarized in a paragraph of CICM Constitutions Commentary (1989): “The ideal of the first Christian community, one heart and one soul (Acts 4:32), has also become our missionary motto (p. 17).”

      1. The trunk with the Virgin and Child

      This is the oldest element found in all the CICM coats of arms. Since the year 1445, Mary's statuette attached to a linden tree by a pious shepherd and dedicated to Our Lady of Grace had been venerated at Scheut. The story goes that pilgrims went to this sanctuary where miracles had been duly noted. In 1455 a chapel was erected there. In the course of the centuries, the chapel was destroyed three times, by the Protestants in 1580, by the Emperor-Sacristan Joseph II in 1783, and during the French Revolution. For about sixty years, the chapel remained in ruins and abandoned until 1855, a well-to-do inhabitant of Brussels, J.C. Brabandt, who could no longer stand the profanation of this sanctuary, bought the land and the chapel, and had it restored at his own expense.

       

      img 2

       

      Joseph Rutten (Superior General from 1920 to 1930) wrote that our Founder Théophile Verbist had a great devotion to Mary, which brought him to Scheut, and it was the devotion of several servants of Mary who gave him the sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace.

      Why did our Founder and his companions choose the name CICM instead of Our Lady of Grace? Here is one possible explanation. The proclamation of the Immaculate Conception's dogma (in 1854, in reviving Marian devotion, contributed to the rapid development of devotion to the Heart of Mary and the spread of the name 'Immaculate Heart of Mary.' It was then that its liturgical feast was adopted about everywhere in the world. Given such current of devotion at that time to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, it is understandable why our Founder and his companions chose the name CICM.

      Why then did they, and others after them, nevertheless keep the miraculous trunk of Our Lady of Grace as the CICM coat of arms? Here are some indications. It was at Scheut, near the sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace, where the CICM was born. Our Founder and his companions lived there; they met there many times, they immersed themselves in the history of the sanctuary; and they prayed to our Lady of Grace. It was there, too, where they prayed one last time before departing for mission.

      After the 1974 Chapter, a century after the Founder's death, the old sanctuary of Our Lady of Grace was replaced by another chapel. The statue that J.C. Brabandt had placed in his chapel and restored in 1855-1860, is now found in the new chapel at Scheut.

      1. The heart surrounded by twelve stars

       

      img 3

       

      It is generally said that the heart of the twelve stars comes from a text of Revelation (12:1): “And a great sign appeared in heaven, a woman adorned with the sun, with the moon is under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars”. Our predecessors opted for a traditional Catholic interpretation and saw Mary, the Woman with twelve stars.

      1. The arms are placed inside a shield

       The shield is the field that contains the parts of the coat of arms.

       

      1. (The trunk with the Virgin and Child) on an ermine background

       

      img 5

       

      In heraldry, an ermine refers to a black spot on a white background. Reminiscent of the winter coat of the graceful Mustelidae. This animal has long symbolized courage, nobility, and purity.

      The CICM emblem has had so many other minor changes and adaptations. Thus, for example, the round form of the emblem’s shield, the changing position of the different elements inside the emblem, and the drawing of the emblem on a ceramic tile of different formats for use as a door handle or simply as decoration.  Some CICM Provinces, such as in the Philippines, added some elements and translated the motto. The emblem made by the General Government, after it transferred to Rome at the end of 1967, carried again in Latin the name “Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Scheut”, albeit without the motto.

      Those who would like to know the different stages of evolution up to the present emblem are requested to consult the articles of our confrere Nestor Pycke, “Emblem and Spirituality CICM 1stPart” in Chronica CICM, No. 7, Sept.-Oct. 2001, p.213-217; 2ndPart in Chronica CICM, No. 8, November 2001, p.260-266; 3rdPart in Chronica CICM, No. 9, December 2001, p.305-309.

    • AU SUJET DE NOTRE LOGO

       

      L’emblème CICM est publié pour la première fois dans le Chronica d’avril 1934 sans aucune explication officielle. Cependant, l’on peut considérer comme explication officielle de l’emblème CICM ce qu’on lit dans le « rapport du vicaire général au Chapitre général de 1947 ». Abordant la question de la vie religieuse en CICM, Jozef Vandeputte (il a dirigé la Congrégation d’abord comme Vicaire général après la mort de Constant Daems de 1935 à 1947 et comme Supérieur général de 1947 à 1957) s’adresse aux Capitulants de la façon suivante :

       

      Chacun de vous se rappellera encore que, à l’époque du dernier Chapitre (de 1930), il y’avait une certaine tension dans la Congrégation. La lettre de la Propagande de 1929, communiquant les résultats de la visite canonique faite l’année précédente par le Père Gubbels sur l’ordre de Rome, appelle l’attention sur un certain désaccord parmi les Scheutistes, et sur le désir de Rome de le faire disparaître le plus vite possible, notre Supérieur général Constant Daems (Supérieur général de 1930 à 1934) s’est alors efforcé sans tarder à rétablir entièrement la concorde et à la confirmer. Cherchant un remède efficace à cet effet, il a fait transférer la dépouille mortelle de notre Vénéré Fondateur à la Maison Mère.

      .

      The emblem of Constant Daems

      L’emblème de Constant Daems

       

      Il a voulu en faire le symbole du lien de l’unité dans la Congrégation, un lien qu’il voulait resserrer plus que jamais durant son généralat, comme il déclara lui-même solennellement dans son allocution au réfectoire de Scheut aux nombreux Scheutistes le dimanche 10 mai 1931, jour du transfert solennel (de la dépouille mortelle du Fondateur Théophile Verbist) à notre église de Scheut. Dans la même intention, il a refait les armes et le sceau de la Congrégation, et il y a introduit la devise « Cor unum et anima una ». Cela fut approuvé dans la réunion du Conseil (du Gouvernement général) du 5 octobre 1933, peu de temps avant son départ pour la Chine et les Philippines. Ce fut pour ainsi dire le dernier grand acte de son gouvernement effectif (Chronica CICM, No 7, novembre 2001, p. 214 - 215).

       

      1. La devise

      Théophile Verbist, mort prématurément, à peine cinq ans après la fondation de CICM, ne nous a pas laissé de devise. C’est le Père Constant Daems qui nous l’a donnée à un moment difficile de l’histoire de la Congrégation.

      Cette devise vient directement des Actes des Apôtres : « La multitude des croyants n’avait qu’un cœur et qu’une âme (4,32) ».

      Cette phrase exprime l’idéal de Dieu pour l’humanité qu’il a créée. C’est le cœur du message évangélique. En Jésus, nous sommes enfants de Dieu, par la force de l’Esprit ; et, par conséquent, frères et sœurs de la même famille.

      Constant Daems a choisi cette devise de fraternité et de joie qui deviendra plus tard une devise missionnaire.

      À partir des années soixante, cette devise sera de plus en plus mise en évidence dans les textes de la Congrégation et elle connaîtra un approfondissement considérable.

       

      motto

       

      La device « Un seul cœur et une seule âme » fait son entrée dans les Constitutions provisoires de 1968 (art. 4). Plus tard, le Chapitre de 1974, parlant de notre engagement missionnaire, déclare : « Nous voulons être signes et instruments de la fraternité universelle (Il faut que le feu brûle, p.45) ». La conférence générale de 1978 donne une attention particulière à notre vocation à la fraternité universelle en Jésus-Christ ; le rapport de cette Conférence est publié sous le titre « Ils n’avaient qu’un seul cœur et une seule âme ».

      Enfin, dans les Constitutions de 1988, nous rencontrons de nouveau la devise :

      « Missionnaires religieux de différentes races et cultures, nous vivons et travaillons ensemble comme frères. Un seul cœur et une seule âme, nous témoignons de la fraternité universelle dans le Christ voulue par le Père (art.2) ».

      Cette façon de voir est bien résumée dans cette phrase du Commentaire des constitutions (1989) : « L’idéal de la première communauté chrétienne,Un seul cœur, une seule âme” (Ac 4,32), est devenu notre devise missionnaire (p. 17) ».

      1. La vierge et l’enfant dans une niche attachée à un tronc

      C’est le plus ancien élément qu’on trouve dans les armoiries CICM. Dès l’année 1445, une statuette de Marie attachée à un tilleul par un pieux berger avait été vénérée à Scheut sous le vocable de Notre Dame de Grâce. On raconte que beaucoup de pèlerins se dirigeaient vers ce sanctuaire et qu’il eut aussi beaucoup de miracles dûment constatés. En 1455 on y érigea une chapelle. Au cours des siècles la chapelle fut détruite à trois reprises, par les Gueux (Protestants) en 1580, par l’empereur-sacristain Joseph II en 1783, et pendant la Révolution française. Pendant environ soixante ans, la chapelle est restée en ruine, abandonnée, quand en 1855, un habitant aisé de Bruxelles, J.C. Brabandt, ne pouvant plus voir la profanation de ce sanctuaire, acheta le terrain et la chapelle et fit restaurer celle-ci à ses frais.

       

      img 2

       

      Joseph Rutten (Supérieur général de 1920 à 1930) écrit que notre Fondateur Théophile Verbist avait une grande dévotion à Marie qui l’amena à Scheut, et ce fut la dévotion de plusieurs serviteurs de Marie qui le mit en possession du sanctuaire de Notre Dame de Grâce. Pourquoi nos Fondateurs ont-ils choisi le nom de CICM au lieu de Notre Dame de Grâce ? Voici une explication possible. La proclamation du dogme de l’Immaculé Conception en 1854, en ravivant la dévotion mariale, contribua à l’essor de la dévotion au Cœur de Marie et à répandre le vocable de « Cœur Immaculé de Marie ». C’est alors que partout dans le monde on adopta sa fête liturgique. On comprend que, dans ce courant de la dévotion au Cœur Immaculé de Marie, nos Fondateurs aient choisi le nom de CICM. Pourquoi alors le tronc miraculeux de Notre Dame de Grâce dans les armoiries de CICM ? Voici quelques indications. C’est à l’endroit de Scheut, près du sanctuaire de Notre Dame de Grâce, que la Congrégation est née. C’est là que nos Fondateurs ont vécu, qu’ils se sont rencontrés tant de fois, qu’ils ont prié à Notre Dame de Grâce. C’est là aussi qu’ils prièrent une dernière fois avant de partir en mission.

      Après le Chapitre général de 1974, un siècle après la mort du Fondateur, le vieux sanctuaire de Notre Dame de Grâce fut remplacé par une autre chapelle. La statue que J.C. Brabandt avait placée dans la chapelle restaurée dans les années 1855-1860 se trouve maintenant dans la nouvelle chapelle de Scheut.

      1. Le cœur entouré de douze étoiles

       

      img 3

       

      On dit souvent que le cœur aux douze étoiles renvoie à un texte de l’Apocalypse (12,1) : « Un signe grandiose apparut au ciel : c’est une femme ! le soleil l’enveloppe, la lune est sous ses pieds et douze étoiles couronnent sa tête ». Nos prédécesseurs ont opté pour une interprétation catholique traditionnelle et ont vu en Marie, la Femme aux douze étoiles.

      1. Les armes sont placées à l’intérieur d’un écu

      L’écu est le champ (bouclier) qui renferme les pièces des armoiries.

       

      1. (La vierge et l’enfant dans une niche attachée à un tronc) sur un arrière-fond d’hermine

       

      img 5

       

      En héraldique, une hermine désigne une moucheture noire sur fond blanc. Rappelant ainsi le pelage hivernal du gracieux mustélidé. L’animal symbolise de longues dates, le courage, la noblesse, la pureté.

      L’emblème CICM a eu tant d’autres changements et adaptations de moindre importance. Par exemple la forme ronde ou celle d’un écu de l’emblème ; la disposition changeante des différents éléments à l’intérieur de l’emblème ; on a dessiné l’emblème sur un pavé céramique de différents formats qui peut servir de poignée de porte ; certaines Provinces CICM ont ajouté des éléments, et traduit la devise ; l’emblème fait par le Gouvernement général, après le transfert à Rome (fin 1967), portait en latin le nom « Congrégation du Cœur immaculé de Marie, Scheut », mais sans devise. Ceux qui désireraient connaître les différentes étapes d’évolution jusqu’à l’emblème actuel sont priés de consulter les articles de notre confrère Nestor Pycke, « Emblème et spiritualité CICM 1re Partie dans Chronica CICM, no 7, sept.-oct. 2001, p.213-217 ; 2e partie, dans Chronica CICM, no 8, novembre 2001, p.260-266 ; 3e Partie dans Chronica CICM, no 9, décembre 2001, p.305-309.

    • Né dans une famille nombreuse

      Théophile Verbist est né le 12 juin 1823 à Anvers dans une famille nombreuse de sept enfants. Guillaume, le père (1787-1854), originaire d’Anvers, se marie avec Catherine Van Honsem en 1813. Un an plus tard, un fils, Pierre, est né. La jeune mère meurt quelques années plus tard. En 1819, Guillaume se marie à nouveau avec Catherine Troch (1797-1852), originaire de Dendermonde, fille d’un chirurgien. Six enfants sont nés de ce mariage. Le premier, né en 1821, fut nommé Guillaume comme son père. Suivirent : Athanase (1822), les jumeaux Théophile et Edmond (12 juin 1823), René (1826) et une fille Élisabeth (1832). Le français était la langue maternelle de la famille Verbist, mais les enfants connaissaient aussi le flamand.


      Prêtre diocésain

      Lorsque les jumeaux Théophileet Edmond ont sept ans, ils vont à l’école des Jésuites à Anvers. Plus tard, ils ont étudié au petit séminaire de Mechelen. Les jumeaux se séparèrent en 1842, lorsqu’ils eurent terminé leurs études secondaires. Alors qu’Edmond a commencé à étudier le droit pour devenir avocat, Théophile voulait devenir prêtre. Il fait d’abord deux années de philosophie, puis il entre au grand séminaire de Mechelen pour y étudier la théologie pendant trois ans, comme c’était l’usage à l’époque.

      Théophile est ordonné prêtre le 18 septembre 1847 à Mechelen par le cardinal Sterckx.


      Surveillant au petit-séminaire

      Au début du mois d’octobre 1847, Théophile Verbist est nommé surveillant au petit séminaire de Mechelen. Les élèves l’appelaient « le bon monsieur Verbist ».


      Aumônier à l’école militaire

      En août 1853, il est nommé aumônier de l’école militaire de Bruxelles et assume cette fonction pendant une dizaine d’années. En règle générale, il était un peu réservé et prudent, mais il pouvait défendre son point de vue avec ardeur et fermeté. Cependant, c’est surtout sa gentillesse qui attirait l’attention de beaucoup comme une particularité.


      Aumônier des Sœurs de Notre-Dame de Namur

      Théophile Verbist était aumônier des Sœurs de Notre-Dame de Namur. Selon les sœurs qui observaient leur aumônier, Théophile Verbist se recueillait pendant une demi-heure avant la célébration eucharistique et après la célébration, il récitait une prière d’action de grâce. Les sœurs pensaient qu’il était vraiment un homme de prière.


      Directeur de la Sainte-Enfance

      En 1860, alors qu’il est aumônier de l’école militaire et aumônier des sœurs, Théophile Verbist est nommé directeur national de l’œuvre de la Sainte-Enfance en Belgique. Il accepta probablement cette nomination parce qu’elle correspondait à sa vocation missionnaire qu’il « nourrissait de tant d’années. »


      La vocation missionnaire de Théophile Verbist

      Au début des Annales de l’Œuvre de la Mission belge en Chine, on lit qu’un « heureux événement » a décidé de la vocation missionnaire de Verbist. Cet événement fait référence à la nouvelle rapportée dans les journaux que les portes de la Chine avaient été ouvertes. Une expédition militaire franco-anglaise, appelée par les Chinois la deuxième guerre de l’opium, a abouti au traité de Tianjin de 1858. Il a été ratifié par l’accord de Pékin entre l’empereur chinois et l’empereur français le 25 octobre 1860. Ce traité ouvre également les portes de la Chine aux missionnaires. Cette nouvelle suscite de grands espoirs chez les missionnaires de France et d’ailleurs. Elle stimule également la vocation missionnaire de Verbist qu’il nourrit « de tant d’années ». Il en parle bientôt à Aloïs Van Segvelt, Frans Vranckx et Remi Verlinden, et ensemble ils prennent contact avec les autorités ecclésiastiques. En 1866, pensant à sa vie missionnaire, Théophile Verbist écrit de Xiwanzi à sa sœur : « Me voilà donc en Chine, chère Élisa (Élisabeth), le rêve de tant d’années devenu une réalité. J’en remercie tous les jours le Bon Dieu, car il me semble qu’ici du moins je puis atteindre le but que je me suis proposé en devenant prêtre : travailler avec fruit par amour du Bon Dieu au bonheur de ses créatures. »


      Fondateur de la CICM

      En tant que membre et sympathisant de la Sainte-Enfance, puis en tant que directeur national, Théophile Verbist connaît le manque d’orphelinats en Chine et envisage d’y fonder un orphelinat. Il projetait de le faire avec quelques prêtres belges. Par des efforts acharnés, il a surmonté de nombreux obstacles jusqu’à ce que sa mission belge en Chine soit finalement établie.

      Le 28 novembre 1862, le cardinal Engelbert Sterckx établit canoniquement la Congrégation du Cœur Immaculé de Marie. Après avoir consulté les autres membres, il nomme Théophile Verbist comme Supérieur général.

      Le 14 novembre 1863, la Propagande accorde « le décret de louange » à la nouvelle Congrégation, qui passe ainsi du droit diocésain au droit pontifical. Ce décret était le premier degré de l’approbation pontificale. Rome accorda une approbation temporelle à la Congrégation en 1888 et l’approbation définitive en 1900.


      Provicaire apostolique de Mongolie

      Le 12 septembre 1865, Théophile Verbist est nommé provicaire apostolique de Mongolie par la Propagande.


      Départ pour la Chine, mission et mort

      En 1865, Théophile Verbist et quatre autres compagnons zélés font les derniers préparatifs pour leur mission en Chine. Le 6 décembre, ils arrivent dans le village de Xiwanzi, dans la province de Mongolie intérieure, au nord de la Grande Muraille. Ils y établissent une base et se mettent immédiatement au travail pour administrer le vaste territoire qui s’offre à eux : organiser de petites communautés chrétiennes, s’occuper d’un orphelinat et d’une école, et former des séminaristes. « C’est difficile. Quel dommage que nous soyons si peu nombreux », se disait le père Verbist lorsqu’il considérait la vaste tâche qui l’attendait. Mais guidé par l’Esprit Saint, lui et son équipe ont pu surmonter les obstacles, malgré le terrain difficile, le climat rigoureux, les immenses distances à parcourir et la langue locale. Ces missionnaires ont également été confrontés à de nombreuses situations critiques, notamment la famine, la maladie, les accidents et le martyre. Le père Verbist lui-même meurt de la fièvre typhoïde à Laohugou, en Chine, le 23 février 1868, à l’âge de 44 ans, moins de trois ans après son arrivée en Mongolie intérieure. Son compagnon, le père Van Segvelt, avait succombé à la même maladie redoutable un an plus tôt. La nouvelle de la mort de Verbist n’est connue en Belgique et en Hollande qu’au début du mois de juin.

       

      verbist


      La dépouille de Théophile Verbist

      En 1930, Constant Daems, le Supérieur général, décide de rapatrier les restes du Fondateur à Scheut-Bruxelles « afin que sa tombe soit pour tous un lieu privilégié de véritable esprit apostolique et de don total de soi ». Ses restes furent placés dans un splendide cercueil, de forme chinoise et de décoration orientale. Il est arrivé à Scheut le dimanche 10 mai 1931.

      «La Congrégation du Cœur Immaculé de Marie (Mission­­naires de Scheut) dont le siège principal se trouve à Ro­me a été fondée par Rd. Théophile Verbist, un prêtre belge qui, nommé Directeur national de l’Œuvre de la Sainte En­fance en 1860, commença à suivre avec attention et un inté­rêt particulier l’Œuvre missionnaire parmi les Chinois.»

      Constitutions CICM, Directoire commun, « Decretum » de la Congrégation pour l’Évangélisation des Peuples.

      Bien qu’il ne soit pas un saint canonisé, le fait que sa fondation se soit développée pour devenir ce qu’elle est aujourd’hui est un témoignage de l’amour et du travail du Père Verbist et de la puissance de l’Esprit Saint en lui.

    • Nous sommes les Missionnaires CICM, Institut missionnaire, religieux et international fondé par Théophile Verbist en 1862.

      CICM est une abréviation qui provient des lettres initiales du nom latin « Congregatio Immaculati Cordis Mariae », Congrégation du Cœur Immaculé de Marie, en français. Elle tire son nom d’une dévotion religieuse mariale au Cœur Immaculé de Marie.

      Les missionnaires CICM sont également connus sous d’autres noms en fonction du pays où ils travaillent.

      En Europe et en Afrique, nous sommes largement connus sous le nom de Missionnaires de Scheut ou Scheutistes. Scheut, Anderlecht, est une banlieue de Bruxelles où le premier siège de la Congrégation a été établi.

      Dans certains endroits, comme aux Philippines, les missionnaires CICM étaient connus sous le nom de « Belgian Fathers » (Pères Belges), car l’Institut a été fondé en Belgique et la plupart de ses membres étaient prêtres. L’Institut n’a jamais été un institut exclusivement belge et comprend à la fois des prêtres et des frères. Ce nom est donc tombé en désuétude, d’autant plus que l’Institut continue de se développer à l’échelle internationale.

      En Amérique du Nord, la Congrégation est également connue sous le nom de «Missionhurst — CICM », et ses membres sont appelés « Prêtres et Frères de Missionhurst ».

      Hurst est un vieux terme anglais désignant une petite colline ou une élévation boisée. Le siège de l’Institut missionnaire en Amérique du Nord est situé sur une petite colline boisée, ce qui explique le nom populaire de l’Institut dans cette partie du monde.

      « La Congrégation est un Institut religieux missionnaire international. Elle a été fondée par Théophile Verbist et est dédiée au Verbe Incarné, sous le nom et le patronage du Cœur Immaculé de Marie. Participant à la mission de Jésus-Christ, confiée à l’Église, l’Institut accomplit sa mission particulière sous la direction et la coordination suprêmes du Pape et du Collège des évêques unis à lui. Il a le statut d’Institut clérical de droit pontifical. En tant qu’Institut exclusivement missionnaire, il est placé sous l’autorité de la Congrégation pour l’évangélisation des peuples » (Constitutions de la CICM, art. 1).

    © 2022 CICM | Powered by VICIS